Have you found yourself avoiding the dentist—whether for routine work or extensive procedures—because of fear and anxiety? At Riccobene Associates Family Dentistry, we want to help you get the oral health care you need without the nerves. That’s why we offer sedation dentistry, which leaves you feeling relaxed while we do all the work we need to to keep your smile looking and feeling great.
What Is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry allows us to provide you with pain-free care and keep you feeling at ease throughout your visit. Whether you have minor dental anxiety or an extreme dental phobia, we have a sedation option that can help you. Our Raleigh-area dentists are trained in a variety of sedation options, so we will work closely with you to determine your needs and develop a plan that’s just right for you. With our sedation methods, we can reach the following levels of sedation:
- Minimal sedation: With this low level of sedation, you feel relaxed while staying awake and aware.
- Moderate/conscious sedation: With this deeper level of sedation, you may find that you slur your words or have delayed reaction times with this sedation. You may not remember the treatment very clearly.
- Deep sedation: At the deepest level of conscious sedation, you’ll be on the edge of sleep or may even snooze for a bit during the procedure, but we can still wake you easily if we need to ask you a question.
- General anesthesia: This is when you sleep throughout the procedure and will not wake up until after we’re done and have removed the sedation method.
Types of Sedation
We offer a few different sedation options to keep you comfortable throughout your appointment. Before we begin treatment, we’ll go over the options and which is best for you.
- Nitrous oxide: Also called “laughing gas,” this sweet-smelling gas is inhaled through a mask worn over the nose. It’s great for patients with mild anxiety, allowing them to feel relaxed while we work. It wears off quickly, too, so you can drive yourself home after your appointment.
- Oral conscious sedation: Before your appointment begins, you’ll take a pill that we’ve prescribed to help you relax. By the time you’re in the dental chair, you’ll feel completely at ease. If you have moderate to severe anxiety, this can be a big help. You’ll have little memory of the procedure and may even sleep off and on throughout. You do need to have someone drive you home afterward.
- IV conscious sedation: For patients with extreme dental fear, IV sedation allows you to reach a deep level of relaxation. We carefully monitor your IV and sedation medication to make sure you receive the exact amount of medication you need. The sedative begins to work almost immediately and has a strong amnesiac effect. After your procedure, you need to have someone drive you home.
FAQs About Sedation Dentistry
Who can perform sedation dentistry?
All of our Raleigh-area dentists have completed additional training to become certified to provide sedation dentistry. You can rest assured that you’re in good hands.
Who can undergo sedation, and who is it appropriate for?
Sedation dentistry is great for patients who have dental anxiety or fear or are undergoing a more extensive or invasive procedure. Patients of all ages can benefit from sedation dentistry, even children.
How much does sedation dentistry cost?
The cost of sedation depends on the method we use for your treatment. When you come in for an appointment, we’ll go over your sedation options and help you determine which is best for you. You can also speak with a team member about what your sedation will cost you out-of-pocket.
How safe is sedation?
There is always some risk associated with sedation, but when it’s administered by experienced professionals, like our Riccobene Associates Family Dentistry team, it is very safe. If you have any concerns, speak with your dentist or one of our team members.