Good dental hygiene is the cornerstone to keeping your smile healthy. At-home and in-office hygienic care help keep your teeth and gums from developing decay, infections, and more. When you come to Riccobene Associates Family Dentistry for a routine appointment, our hygienists and dentists will take a close look at your mouth to check for signs of gum disease, cavities, and more. Based on our findings, we develop personalized hygiene plans to help you get and maintain great oral health.
Dental Hygiene Services
At-home care is essential, but it’s also important that you come in for more in-depth cleanings every now and then. At our North Carolina dental offices, we provide the following hygiene services:
- Fluoride treatments: Fluoride is found in public water sources and many toothpastes, but if we find that your teeth could benefit from additional fluoride, we can give you a professional fluoride treatment. Fluoride makes teeth stronger and protects against tooth decay.
- Periodontal treatments: If we notice signs of gum disease—red or swollen gums, pockets between the gums and teeth, or even excessive bleeding of the gums—we can provide a deeper periodontal cleaning to help return your gums to a better state of health.
- Professional teeth cleanings: Help your teeth avoid decay or enamel loss, and prevent gingivitis by coming to our office for regular cleanings every six months or so.
- Tooth decay prevention: The exams we perform regularly, when combined with your at-home oral hygiene routine, can help you avoid tooth decay and cavities.
No matter your dental needs, you’re in good hands with our team of professionals. Our hygienists are dedicated to keeping your teeth healthy and educating you on how to care for your teeth outside the dentist’s office.
FAQs About Dental Hygiene
How can I maintain good dental hygiene at home?
There’s a reason we tell you to brush your teeth twice daily for two minutes each time, and to floss daily. These are the best ways to prevent dental problems between your routine dental visits.
What services are performed at a scheduled cleaning?
When you come in for a routine cleaning, your hygienist will perform the following:
- Thorough review of dental and medical history
- Oral cancer screening
- Evaluation of overall oral health
- X-rays to detect signs of decay
- Stain, plaque, and tartar removal
- Fluoride application
- Sealant placement, if necessary
- Teeth polishing
- Oral health education and instruction
How often should I visit the office to maintain good dental hygiene?
You should come in to our office for a routine visit every six months so we can keep decay, gum disease, and other oral health issues at bay. If you need to come in more often, we will let you know the recommended visit schedule for your needs.