Do you have tension headaches, worn-down teeth, or persistent jaw pain? If you said yes to any of the following, you may be suffering from temporomandibular disorder (TMD). At Riccobene Associates Family Dentistry, we can help you find quick and effective relief!
What Is TMJ/TMD?
TMD affects your temporomandibular joints or (TMJs). Your TMJ is a hinge in front of each ear that connects your jawbone to the temporal bones of your skill. They allow you to move your jaw up and down and side to side. TMD causes pain in the jaw and limits the movement of your joints. It can affect your ability to speak, chew, swallow, and breathe.
20 to 30% of the population suffers from TMD/TMJ. Some of its most common symptoms include:
- Clicking, popping, or grating sounds from your jaw
- Difficulty opening your mouth wide
- Jaw joint pain
- Persistent pain in your cheeks and temples
- Tension headaches
What Causes TMJ/TMD?
The exact cause of TMD is unknown. However, it is believed that a variety of conditions and ailments can directly affect your jaw muscles and joints. TMD symptoms can be caused by physical stress and sleeping disorders. Additional causes may include:
- Anxiety and stress
- Dislocation of the soft cushion between your joint’s ball and socket
- Injury to your jaw or the muscles in your head and neck
How Is TMJ/TMD Treated?
Our exceptional team will run a series of tests to determine the cause of your TMD and design a personalized treatment plan for your unique situation. We’re dedicated to finding a solution that’s right for you. Some of our TMJ treatment options are:
- Anti-inflammatory medication
- Head, neck and jaw stretching exercises
- Special diets to manage pain